Out There Arts is an independent arts development charity committed to minimising our environmental impact. We recognise we are facing a global climate emergency; we are putting measures in place, which we will monitor on a regular basis, to help us make sustainable environmental improvements across all aspects of our organisation and the events we deliver.
Initiatives we are part of:
The Drill House
Although we face the challenge of the Drill House being a listed building we are implementing various strategies to reduce our environmental impact:
- Encouraging recycling with clearly labelled bins
- Reusable cups and cutlery instead of single use
- Use local food and drink suppliers e.g. alcohol is supplied by Lacons, a local brewery based in Great Yarmouth
- Turn off lights and heating to reduce energy consumption
- Record and report energy use data with Julie’s Bicycle Creative Green Tools
The Ice House
We are making environmental considerations at every stage of the transformation of the Ice House, such as:
- Using materials from sustainable sources as well as organisations with green certification and policies
- Prioritising local supply networks
- Improving the waste management system to build towards a circular economy model to reduce waste to landfill. Carry forward key principles to: Rethink, Reduce, Reuse, Repair and Recycle
- Measuring our emissions, reporting and evaluation annually using the Creative Green Tools, developed by Julie’s Bicycle as well as completing the annual Industry Green Survey
- Our team will undertake a programme of training and development to become a Carbon Literate and Climate Positive Workforce
- New LED lighting system to replace out-of-date high energy consuming lighting fixtures
- Solar Powered Trailer Stage including batteries
- Use a recognised environmental assessment method to assess environmental performance eg. BREEAM
Out There Festival
Here’s just a few things we’ve done and are working toward:
- We’ve joined Vision: 2025 with the mission to reduce our Festival greenhouse emissions by 50% by 2025.
- All of our pitches are powered by a renewable mains source.
- We have formulated Sustainable Trading Standards for all stallholders.
- We are using ecolibrium’s Travel Carbon Calculator for all domestic and international artists.
- We transformed the Mermadelica Cafe into a Climate Cafe
- We use a local provider, Blackwell Print, who offset our printing by planting trees.
- We have water refill points to reduce single use plastic
Out There Festival
Here’s how you can help:
- Enjoy a drink at the Festival Bar – with our renewable cups
- Use our water Refill Stations to help reduce plastic waste
- Where possible walk or use public transport to attend the festival. You can also consider joining our Travel Sharing Facebook Group @outtherearts1
- Use recycling facilities at the festival.
- Become a Green Volunteer and help us keep the festival litter free.
Read Our Environmental Policy
Environmental Policy pdf